Below are the descriptions of the officer roles for the Oregon Chapter of the Ohio U. Alumni Association as given in the Oregon Chapter By-Laws. All positions are up for re-election this June, and several positions will not have an “incumbent” because of term limits.
Not described below is the At-Large position, which really doesn’t have a description – At-Large officers just are asked to come to the 3x-yearly meetings and provide input.
- President. The President is the Chapter leader and presides at all Chapter meetings. The President oversees responsibilities of all Chapter Officers and Committee Chairs, guides the Chapter network calendar of events, and acts as the primary liaison to the Ohio University Alumni Association and other Chapters, Societies, and Chapter Networks. At the conclusion of his/her term, the President shall serve as a member of the Steering Committee.
- Vice-President. The Vice-President shall, in the absence of the President, perform the duties and exercise the powers of the President. The Vice-President shall perform duties as described by the President and the Steering Committee, and shall be an ex-officio member of all Chapter committees.
- Secretary. The Secretary shall keep accurate accounts of all meetings of the Chapter and Steering Committee, and shall give notice of all general and special meetings of the Chapter. The Secretary shall assist the President in completing the annual report to the Ohio University Office of Alumni Relations. The Secretary is the custodian of the Chapter member contact list(s) and shall actively maintain this/these list(s). The Secretary shall communicate news of events to the Office of Alumni Relations by completing and submitting “Chapter Event Notifications” at least ten weeks prior to the event date and “Chapter Event Evaluations” no more than two weeks after the event date. The Secretary shall also collect, prepare, and publicize the Chapter Calls for Nominations of Officers, the Officer ballot and candidate biographies, and the Officer ballot.
- Treasurer. The Treasurer shall collect, deposit, and disburse all monies related to Chapter business. The Treasurer shall maintain the Chapter checking account and prepare annual financial statements and report on Chapter finances at each meeting of the Steering Committee and Executive Committee. The Treasurer is responsible for establishing and maintaining the Chapter’s non-profit status and filing the Chapter tax return if applicable.
Three standing committees shall be active at all times. Ad hoc committees may be created at the discretion of the Executive Committee and/or the Steering Committee.
- Community Service. The goal of the Community Service Committee is to select and vet local charities, philanthropies, and/or community-oriented organizations for the commitment of Chapter resources, and plan and execute community service events on behalf of the Chapter. The community service committee shall set up events, fundraising campaigns, or other means for Chapter members, friends and family to donate time, money, or other resources for the greater good of the Community. At least one community service event shall be held each calendar year that will allow Chapter members, friends and family to work together for an altruistic, community-based cause. Involvement by Chapter members in community service events shall be voluntary. Community service events and philanthropies shall reflect positively on the Chapter and on Ohio University and the Ohio University Alumni Association. The Community Service Committee Chair shall assist the Secretary in developing applicable Chapter Event Notification and Chapter Event Evaluation documents in a timely manner.
- Technology. The goal of the Technology Committee is to provide the link for communications between the Chapter Executive Committee and the members. Roles of the technology Committee include developing and maintaining the Chapter website, social media, and email lists. The Technology Committee Chair will work with the Secretary to communicate Chapter events, meeting minutes, and other notifications to the Chapter members. The Technology Committee shall also include a Chapter Historian that documents Chapter events by photograph, video and/or audio recordings. Implements of the Technology Committee shall reflect positively on the Chapter and on Ohio University and the Ohio University Alumni Association.
- Social. The goal of the Social Committee is to plan and execute social and networking gatherings for the Chapter members, friends and family. The purpose of these events is to create opportunities for Chapter members, friends and family to interact in a comfortable and fun setting, and to foster member camaraderie and rapport. At least three social events shall be held each calendar year and at least one event shall be “family-friendly” to encourage members to bring their children. Social events shall reflect positively on the Chapter and on Ohio University and the Ohio University Alumni Association. The Social Committee Chair shall assist the Secretary in developing applicable Chapter Event Notification and Chapter Event Evaluation documents in a timely manner.